Make this 3D elephant craft that for a fun decoration, mask, or puppet! Use this simple origami fortune teller as the frame of the elephant’s face. If you want to make a larger version, use a larger square of paper when you put together the fortune teller.
- construction paper (colors of your choice)
- a bottle of glue
- a stapler
- a fat crayola marker
- a pencil
- Start by making a a fortune teller out of the construction paper. How to make an origami fortune teller
- Staple the top and bottom sections together to create a mouth that only opens in one direction.
- Make the elephant’s nose – Glue one side of piece of construction paper around a wide crayola marker. Leave the other side flat and off the marker. See the picture on the above right. This way you will be able to connect it to the elephant’s face.
- Hold the paper around the marker until the glue dries. When it’s dry, take the flat side and glue it to the top of the fortune teller. Hold it down until the glue dries.
- Cut out two white triangles for tusks and place a bit of glue on the wide ends of them. Tuck them into place under the nose piece.
- Cut a round piece of construction paper that will fit inside the nose, using the fat marker
as a measurement guide. Make a couple of tabs on the circle when you cut it out. Bend those tabs, dot them with glue, and carefully place them inside the elephant’s nose so the glue sticks.
- Add construction paper triangles inside the mouth as shown in the picture. You kind of have to eye the size of these triangles and it may involve some trial and error. Once you make one triangle that fits well, use it as a template and cut three more of the same shape.
- Cut out two large cone shapes to make the elephant’s ears and glue them to the back of the elephant’s head.
- Cut two squares and glue behind the ears to fill in the elephant’s face. Round the edges off with scissors.
- Cut two circles out of white construction paper to make eyes. Use smaller black construction paper circles as pupils.
- Make eyelids using half circles of construction paper.
- The eyelashes are made by cutting a small rectangle out of black construction paper and then cutting long, thin strips, like you would if you were making grass. Curl them by rolling them around a pencil. Carefully fold the end and attach to the eyelids with a tiny amount of glue.
- To hang your elephant craft to the wall, push a small nail through one of the folds on the back of the fortune teller to create an anchor. Place a loop of string or floss on the nail and attach to the wall with a tack.